07 January 2013

(Slighty Pink) Red Velvet Cake

Once I returned home from university for the holidays, as well as being more than ready for a well needed three weeks of relaxation I was also ready to get baking. First on my list was an American classic, red velvet cake. I first tried one a few months ago and once I had tasted it, I finally understood what all the fuss was about. Despite being warned how difficult they are to make, I was not going to rest until I had at least attempted it once- and I'm (kinda) glad I did as apart from being slightly pink, It went quite well.

I found this recipe to be much sweeter than the original cake I had tried and I later discovered that sometimes it works better to use a little bit of lemon juice in the icing to give it a little bit of zest and make it a little less sweet which I think it needs.

Fancy a go? Here's the recipe....




Red Velvet Cake


For the Cake:

  • 60 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 150 g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 10 g cocoa powder
  • 20 ml red food colouring (preferably Dr. Oetker Red Food Colouring)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 120 ml buttermilk
  • 150 g plain flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar


For the Icing:


  • 300g icing sugar, sifted
  • 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 125g cream cheese, cold

Method



  1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
  2. Put the butter and the sugar in a bowl and beat (using a wooden spoon although it says an electric whisk) until light and fluffy and well mixed. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a thick, dark paste. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined and coloured (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula).
  4. Turn the mixer down to slow speed and slowly pour in half the buttermilk. Beat until well
    mixed, then add half the flour, and beat until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this process until all the buttermilk and flour have been added. Scrape down the side of the bowl again. 
  5. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until you have a smooth, even mixture. Turn the mixer down to low speed and add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Beat until well mixed, then turn up the speed again and beat for a couple more minutes.
  6. Spoon the mixture into greased tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
  7. Beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric mixer on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
  8. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed.
  9. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny. When the cake is completely cold, spoon half the cream cheese frosting between the layers and the rest on top.
  10. You may have tons of frosting left over but luckily frosting freezes particularly well so that is what I have done with mine for future cupcake baking.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet