Anyway apologies aside, yesterday I had a uni-free day to relax and do whatever I pleased and what better opportunity to do a spot of baking?
I have been dying to make these oreo cupcakes for ages as there seemed to be quite a lot of hype around them so it was only natural that I got in the kitchen to find out for myself!
Afterall oreos; delicious crunchy biscuits + cake; yummy crumbly goodness = makes a whole lotta sense; what could go wrong!?
For the cupcakes
(I doubled this recipe which usually makes 12 and I got 22)
40g cocoa powder
240g caster sugar
3tsp baking powder
80g unsalted butter
2 eggs
200ml milk
2tsp vanilla extract
16 whole Oreo's
350g sifted icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1-2tbs milk
3 or 4 crushed Oreo's (You can crush them in a food processor,or put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin/other suitable object!)
·
Preheat the oven to 180 or gas mark and line a
cupcake tray with paper cases.
·
Place a whole Oreo into each cupcake case.
·
Sift the flour,cocoa powder,baking powder and
salt into a bowl give it all a whisk around.
·
In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar
together until it combines then add the vanilla extract and the eggs 1 at a
time whisking them in slowly.
·
Alternately add the milk and flour and bring it
all together,adding any remaining flour at the end.
·
Divide between the cupcake cases,covering the
Oreo's and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
· The cakes are ready when a cocktail stick or skewer comes
out of the centre clean and they spring back when touched.
· Set on a cooling rack to cool down completely.
·
Make the buttercream by beating the butter and
icing sugar and vanilla together for a good few minutes until it becomes very
smooth and fluffy. Add the milk a little at a time if you find the consistency
a little too thick
·
Mix in a spoonful at a time of the crushed
Oreo's just until you get the pretty cookie speckled look that you're after.
This is the part where I had a slight incident... one which got extremely messy.
And if like me, you like making a mess but not clearing it up then I recommend taking notes!
This was the first time I had ever piped icing onto cupcakes as usually I take the route of spooning and smoothing it on and as time went on I began to wish that I had done it that way!
Aside from not realising until I had put the icing in the bag that the piping nozzle does not go on the outside, but infact goes on the inside of the bag (you don't want to know) the main issue was with the size of the crumbs in the icing.
The real problem occurred after I had to EMPTY THE DAMN BAG TWICE to re-insert the nozzle only to discover that it wouldn't pipe because the Oreo 'crumbs' were too big and kept getting stuck in it.
WALLY.
So, if you do make these (and I highly recommend that you do) make sure when you crush the Oreos that they are the teeniest, tiniest crumbs ever- and that there are no large bits of biscuit, as if any big, naughty Oreo pieces do sneak into your icing your piping bag won't like it and you'll soon understand the mess that I was in.
Once I had wrestled with the icing, I finished them off by topping with half an Oreo and sprinkling them with Oreo crumbs. Deeeeeeelish.
Store in an airtight container for about a week.
Well, that's if they last that long...
No comments:
Post a Comment